Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Cravings

Before I got pregnant I was curious about what kind of cravings I would have when I actually was pregnant. Based on my hearty appetite and love of food, I figured this could make for an interesting combination. It was actually part of the pregnancy that I was most looking forward to - any reason to indulge in my favorite foods. I assumed that when you are pregnant that you crave one or two things consistently throughout your pregnancy. Not me. My cravings change day by day, even hour by hour. I can't keep up with them. I'll crave something, go to the store and buy it, and then when I finally get the chance to eat it, the thought of it is completely repulsive to me or I want something different. This has caused our weekly grocery bill to skyrocket and resulted in many cupboards overflowing with junk food. For example, on Sunday I had a craving for chocolate chip cookie sandwiches. What's that you might ask? Well it is two chocolate chip cookies with butter cream frosting sandwiched between them. This was the exact craving I had. Not just chocolate chip cookies, but chocolate chip cookies with butter cream frosting. So I went to the store and bought all the ingredients I would need to make this concoction. By the time the cookies came out of the oven I was no longer in the mood for my delectable creation. But you can't let perfectly good fresh baked chocolate chip cookies and butter cream frosting go to waste, so of course I ate some. Then the next morning I woke up with a strong craving for pancakes and bacon. So I convinced Jim to go out for breakfast. I ordered my pancakes and bacon, and by the time our order came, I had already moved on to the next craving. So the pancakes and bacon that I was craving so intensely an hour before, were just ok. What I really wanted was eggs covered in hot sauce. I have no idea if this is common with all pregnant woman, but whatever happened to craving ice cream and pickles for nine months?

No comments:

Post a Comment