Thursday, June 4, 2009

Pregnancy Brain

Well apparently that feeling of memory loss where I walk into a room to get something and then completely forget what I went for, or go to yell at Greg and call him four different names before I get the right one, has a name. It is pregnancy brain, and it is recognized as an actual symptom of pregnancy. According to WebMD, there are a number of theories why pregnant women experience this loss of memory. One of the theories includes brain shrinkage. They say that the brain shrinks 3-5% during pregnancy, which takes approximately six months after birth to return to normal. Another theory is that the brain is being marinated in a huge amount of the pregnancy hormone oxytocin during pregnancy, and oxytocin has been shown to have amnesia-like effects. Others say that there is an evolutionary aspect which causes memory impairment so that women will forget about other stuff and focus on preparing for their baby. Whatever it is, it is frustrating.

Now let me give you an example of pregnancy brain. Yesterday I got into my car to go to work, and I left my purse at home. Who leaves home without her purse? It's not like it was in a strange place or out of view. It was in the same place I always leave it. Right by the door, so I have to walk right past it on my way out. My purse contains my cell phone, my id badge to get into my office, my wallet, my chapstick and pretty much everything else I need to get through the day. This wouldn't have been such a big deal if I hadn't needed to stop and get gas on my way to work. Of course I realized this as I pulled up to the gas pump and went to grab my credit card. I was already more than half way into my drive when I realized this, so there was no turning back for home. It's not like I could have called for help if I ran out of gas, so I prayed that I had enough fumes in the tank to make it to work. Luckily I made it there, but there was no way I was going to make it home. I had to ask a co-worker to take pity on me and my pregnancy brain and let me borrow $20 so I could make it home.

At least I didn't forget my lunch. Now that would have been a real tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment