Thursday, May 13, 2010

My First Mother's Day

Last weekend I got to celebrate my first Mother's Day. It was nice to finally be able to think of Mother's Day as a day to celebrate, rather than spend the day being sad. Jim and James (and Max too) went out of their way to make my first Mother's Day very special. James came home from daycare last week with a homemade Mother's Day present. It was a little laminated craft with his handprints and a poem imprinted on it. It was so cute, that I teared up when I opened it. Now I know why my Mom used to say that homemade cards and presents were her favorite. I never believed her until now.

As usual Jim went above and beyond, giving me way too much. I got roses and a beautiful heart shaped locket with a picture of James for my charm bracelet. Jim also surprised me by taking James to get his picture taken. He picked James up from daycare, dressed them in matching outfits, and had the most adorable pictures taken of the two of them. All without me knowing a thing! We also went to brunch at Maddi's Southern Bistro in Birkdale Village, and I ate way too much. James was pretty well behaved. The only time he was really fussy was after the large table of people in his line of view left, our waiter wasn't interested in paying him any attention, and he cried because he couldn't get anyone to look at him. The entire weekend was wonderful, but the best part was just spending time together as a family.

I also spent the day thinking about and missing my own mother. No matter how much joy James brings to my life, there is always something missing. It's hard to believe she will never know James, or see me as a mother myself. It's also hard for me to believe that James will never get to know the amazing person I got to call mom. The best I can do is try to keep her memory and spirit alive by carrying on as many traditions as possible, and telling him what an wonderful person she was. Hopefully she would be as proud of me, as I am of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment