Tuesday, May 4, 2010

From James J. Lilley I to James J. Lilley III


It seems ironic that as my father's birthday approaches tomorrow, today was a wonderful day for James III. James had his retainers removed today and the last of his stitches wiped away and we were left with the unencumbered vision of our most handsome son. It is so wonderful to see our son a few weeks after his surgery. He looks fantastic and his personality just shines through a new and improved lip and nose.

As proud as I am to have such a wonderful son, there is always a sadness that comes about when an anniversary or birthday approaches for one of our family's special angels. In this case it is my father's birthday tomorrow, cinco de mayo. My dad would have been so amused by James. His personality is so infectious and my dad would have just melted when he was around him. The first James J. was a wonderful wonderful father. He was perfect in every way. He coached all of our teams, was the first one at parent / teacher conferences and made sure that we not only had everything we needed but also everything we wanted.

It is days like tomorrow that I am so grateful to Christy for naming our son after my father. There is only so much that you can do to pay tribute to a man that did so many times more for you than you could ever imagine doing for him. Our annual golf tournament is something that brings so many friends together to reminisce about my dad but there is something about looking into the same blue eyes that my father had and knowing that, although James will never know his grandfather, I can someday tell him why he is named James III.

James makes it easier to get over the loss of such a special person as he greets us with a smile and a giggle every morning and is that kind of playful that makes you never want to say "no" to him. I would like to think that was the way my father felt about Jon and me and the reason he was such a good father to us. I hope to use everything he taught me to be the same kind of father to James.

It is in thinking about the baseball, basketball, and hockey games; the trips to the golf course at a very early age; the tutoring that came when helping with homework; the times I would come out of last period in high school to see my dad waiting for me in the foyer; the times when he would come to my games in college with my mother just to turn around and immediately go to one of Jon's games right after mine ended; and all of those hours just sitting around in the garage on a warm summer's night just talking about the day that leads me to say, "Happy Birthday Dad! I hope you enjoy your very special present, a precious young boy named in your honor."

2 comments:

  1. Hope James is doing well since his surgery. I loved "meeting" him at Hailey's birthday party. He really is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Kathy CortoMay 7, 2010 at 9:51 PM

    Jim & Christy,

    I very happy all went well for James.

    Jimmy you wrote a wonderful tribute to your dad. I can picture him smiling when he read it. Your dad was a wonderful man and brother-in-law.

    Love,
    Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete