Friday, January 22, 2010

James's Busy Week

Well let me first start by addressing the title of this post
"James's Busy Week". Ever since considering giving our son a name ending in "s" I was bothered by the fact that I was unsure of exactly how to form the possessive singular of James. I have seen it both ways - James' and James's. If I write "James's" spellchecker immediately flags it as incorrect and changes it to James'. Not wanting my baby to grow up in a world where his mother doesn't know how to correctly form the singular possessive of his name, I consulted "The Elements of Style" by Strunk and White. Strunk and White is basically the bible for American English grammar and writing, and as a lawyer I keep my copy within arm's reach at all times. According to Strunk and White, we form the possessive singular of nouns by adding 's. This rule should be followed whatever the final consonant. Thus write, "Charles's friend", "Burns's poem", and "the witch's malice". This is the usage of the United States Printing Office and the Oxford University Press. So to form the singular possessive of James, I should write "James's". Do you see why I have trouble sleeping at night? These are the problems I plague myself with!


Ok now that I've got that cleared up and off my chest, I can get on to the subject of this post - James's busy week. Last weekend James got a visit from his friend Carly, and what a great time he had. It's hard for me to believe that I have been friends with Carly's mom Rachel since we were six years old. We've been through everything together and now we are experiencing motherhood together too. It's crazy to think about.


We spent the weekend just hanging with the kiddos. It was so much fun to see Carly at ten months old. She is so active and such a sweet and happy little girl. She has the greatest little faces and definitely tells you exactly what she is thinking! She seemed more interested in Max than James, but she gave us a preview of what James will be like in just a few short months. It's amazing how much babies change in the first year of life.


This week James also had a playdate with his friend Dominic. James is just a little more than two weeks older than Dominic, so I got to experience my entire pregnancy with his mom Theresa, and now I am experiencing motherhood with her too. It's so nice having a good friend going through the exact same things at the same time. Dominic and James were so cute together. At one point when they were laying together they grasped hands and held onto each other for a few minutes. It was so cute. I think it means they will be best buddies for life!
Also this week James started reaching for objects. Here he is grabbing for Mr. Giraffe on his play gym. So far he only really grabs with his left hand. Does that mean he will be left handed? I guess only time will tell. It may be a good sign for his future as a Yankees first baseman ...



1 comment:

  1. Aww, I think they will be best buddies for life, too. :) D has been grabbing with his left hand, too! They can be best buddies and Yankees teammates!! Such big plans we have for them...

    ReplyDelete